Hi, I’m Jon Baker. I help professionals grow their firms from 5 to 50 employees, profitably, sustainably and without losing their souls (OK, I think it’s important to enjoy your work; hence why our office is based in a country park – see photos at the bottom of this page).
Since moving from the corporate sector I’ve trained and coached nearly a thousand professionals and business owners. They include small businesses, as well as professional practices and larger firms.
I spend most of my time working on a one to one basis with professionals that run their own firms. That also involves me helping train their staff to improve sales, marketing and leadership skills. I have a simple view in life, training (or coaching) is a waste of time! It’s a waste unless it’s improving the firm, in practice. The feedback I get says that I achieve this.
I love speaking and regularly give lively, interactive keynote presentations on subjects such as.
- Finding more time in your working week. What professional doesn’t struggle with that one?
- Building a tactical marketing plan. Having a constant supply of leads is essential to modern professional practices.
- Rubber Eggs and Curly Canapés. How to get real referrals from your networking.
- The 5 essential things that make the difference between a successful small firm and one that drains your time, energy and barely returns what you’re looking for.
- Barbecues and biscuits. What they teach the owners of small professional practices about getting more business, in a very practical way.
- How to sell more by selling less, without losing your shoes.
- Why better teamwork is something most professionals subconsciously prevent and how to fix it.
These often involve taking different angles on things, using stories and/ or props. One group was more than a little intrigued when I stood on stage and took my shoes off before throwing them away. I promise there was a good reason, you’ll have to ask me about it though.
After a Chamber of Commerce presentation a delegate said “Jon Baker, that was the best presentation I’ve heard in 17 years of running my business”. You can see more of these on my LinkedIn profile.
I’m writing a book ‘The Next Step: Taking your Business from 5 to 50 employees’ (published by Kogan Page in 2014), the many obstacles en-route may become the subject for my second book! I have also co-authored The Go-To Expert (published by FT in 21014), with Heather Townsend.
As well as having an MBA and coaching diplomas, I’m an NLP Master Practitioner. I love learning, when it’s for a practical reason, and sharing that learning.
Contact me, if you want somebody that can help you:
- Develop your leadership, sales and marketing skills so you grow your firm.
- Develop the skills and more importantly the results you get from your leadership team.
- Build your client portfolio, focusing especially on referrals from networking and social media.
To connect with me:
- On Twitter – I’m @divingjon (find out why by reading on)
- On LinkedIn – connect with Jon Baker here
- On Google+, connect with Jon Baker here.
- Call me on 01234 48 0123
- Book a 20 minute slot in my diary, just click here
Jon Baker – at play work ….(which is as often as possible)
As I said earlier I believe in fun and a balanced approach to life and work. That means life, not work, whenever possible. I enjoy spending my time underwater, or up mountains.
I’m Scuba Diving most weekends, playing with jellyfish somewhere between the Arctic Circle and New Zealand (normally in the UK). I’m also a qualified diving instructor.
I’m now reacquainting myself with my camera, having not really touched it for several years. So excuse me for not showing you all the results…just yet. I love our office in the middle of a 60 acre country park, as it gives me a place to play, some of the country park pictures are below.
The lessons and laughter I have while spending time on my hobbies often gets linked to my business development experience in presentations. I strongly believe in analogy and metaphor when trying to get a point across, although not as strongly as I believe that interaction and laughter is key to any learning experience.
Do let’s catch up, book a slot in my diary (click here) and we can talk.